Googling brought me to a Golden Book Collector site and I finally
found almost the same description here
http://www.goldenbook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=2&showtopic=1134&highlight=candy

"The title is 'The Gingerbread Shop' by P.L. Travers. You have most of
the details right. It is a story from Mary Poppins and a little golden
book."

Barb Engvall
=^..^=

Teacher-Librarian