*Thank you* to all who sent me great websites, books, ideas, or other
resources to use to raise awareness of Earth Day in April in the elementary
grades.  I got a long list, but weeded out broken links. The best ones are
listed below.
Thanks,
Teresa Fisher
Chesterfield County Schools
Midlothian, VA
twinkfisher@gmail.com

Websites:
http://www.earthday.net
http://teach.fcps.net/trt2/Webquests/earth_day_scavenger_hunt.htm
http://www.seussville.com/games/lorax/
http://www.iit.edu/~smile/bi9611.html
http://www.greenteacher.com//articles/earthweeki.html
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/caer/ce/eek/
http://www.ecokids.ca/
http://www.evergreen.edu.library/govdocs/hotopics/earthday.html/
http://school.discovery.com/lessonplans/programs/protectingplanet/
http://www.epa.gov/students/
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/worldbalance/

Other activities:
Use word or puzzlemaker.com to create word finds, etc.
Create acrostic poems for Earth Day.
After reading The Earth and I by Frank Asch with Kindergarteners, brainstorm
how we help the Earth and how it helps us, then make a little craft with
markers, a coffee filter, and a spray water bottle.  The Earth comes out
looking just like the watercolors in the book.

Read Alouds:
The Lorax by Dr. Seuss
Wump world by Bill Peet
Anni and the Tree-Huggers by J. Atkins
Eco-wolf and the Three Pigs by L. Anholt
Farewell to Shady Glade by Bill Peet

Great Books:
A River Ran Wild by Lynne Cherry
How We Know What We Know About Our Changing Climate by Cherry
The Wolves Are Back by Jean Craighead George
The Day the Stones Walked by T.A. Barron
Where Once There Was A Wood by Denise Fleming
Uno's Garden by Graeme Base
Meadowview Street by Henry Cole
Snowy White World to Save by Stephanie Lisa Tara
Brother Eagle, Sister Sky: A Message from Chief Seattle
Curious George Plants a Tree
Caves: Mysteries Beneath Our Feet
Glaciers: Nature's Ice Caps
Oceans: the Vast, Mysterious Deep
Mountains: the Tops of the World by David L. Harrison
Million of Cats by Gag
Around the Water Hole by Base
Abel's Island by William Steig
Alejandro's Gift by Richard Albert, illustrated by Sylvia Long
Be Nice to Spiders by Margaret Bloom Graham
Ben's Dream by Chris Van Allsburg
Children of the Earth: Remember by Schim Schimmel
The Day the Trash Came Out to Play by David Deadle
The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
Gone Wild by David McLimans
The Great Kapok Tree: A Tale of the Amazon Rain Forest by Lynn Cherry
The Green Book by Loreen Leedy