Thank you so much for the wonderful list of suggestions for our Child Labor
research project- I truly appreciate your help!  I have listed a summary of the

Try these for resources:

http://www.readwritethink.org/lessons/lesson_view.asp?id=289

http://www.teacherplanet.com/resource/childlabor.php

http://americanhistory.mrdonn.org/industrial.html

http://www.archives.gov/education/lessons/hine-photos/

http://memory.loc.gov/learn/lessons/98/labor/plan.html

http://www.un.org/works/goingon/labor/lessonplan_labor.html

http://edsitement.neh.gov/view_lesson_plan.asp?id=430

If you can find these books through ILL, this would be really useful, I would think:

http://wber.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/17/2/175

Child labour: targeting the intolerable : sixth item on the agenda By International
Labour Office

Children for hire: the perils of child labor in the United States By Marvin J.
Levine

This was always one of my favorite topics to cover teaching U.S. history

Good luck!
Definitely use UNICEF as a resource for the global view. You might want to get a
book, Stand Up Speak Out, if not from a nearby library, from Amazon.
The book Iqbal gives a great perspective of child labor today in Pakistan.  Well
worth the read!
1)The Documented Rights Exhibit online:
http://archives.gov/exhibits/documented-rights/resources/ This link will take you
to its “Related Resources” page. At the right, in the box, you can select
“Child Labor.” You'll arrive at a digital image of the Keating-Owen Child Labor
Act of 1916. It’s really pretty cool to read the bill and be able to see what the
actual document looked like.

2) The Teaching with Documents Lesson Plans page:
http://www.archives.gov/education/lessons/
Click on the fourth link, “The Development of the Industrial United States,
1870-1900.” Once you arrive at the next page, the 8th topic listed is
“Photographs of Lewis Hine: Documentation of Child Labor.”  Powerful stuff:
the photographs speak volumes, and the background info is extremely helpful,
explaining that Hines’ photos had a large influence on the ensuing legislation
that was to follow.

3) Lastly, go to the search page of the Archival Research Catalog and type in
“Child Labor.” http://archives.gov/research/arc/  That will bring you to
hundreds of docs/photos that you can use. There will be some overlap with the Hines
photos mentioned earlier. Any source that contains a “digital copies” tab at
the top is something you can view online…you needn’t visit DC to look at it!

Thanks again,

Nancy Humphrey
Manchester High School
Chesterfield County Public Schools