Richie's Picks: MARCELO IN THE REAL WORLD by  Francisco X. Stork, Arthur A.
Levine Books/Scholastic, March 2009, 312p., ISBN:  978-0-545-05474-4

"'There's just one thing.'  I see him pick up the glass  of wine and raise
it to his lips.  This time his words come out very  slow.  'You can do what
you want in the fall...'  He waits for my eyes  to meet his eyes and then he
continues.  'But this summer you must follow  all the rules of the...real
world.'
"'The real world.'  I say out loud.  It is one of  Arturo's favorite
phrases.
"'Yes, that's right.  The real world.'
"As vague and broad as this term is, I have a sense of what it  means and
the difficulties that it entails.  Following the rules of the  real world
means, for example, engaging in small talk with other people.   It means
refraining from talking about my special interest.  It means  looking people in
the eye and shaking hands.  It means doing things 'on the  hoof' as we say at
Paterson, which means doing things that have not been  scheduled in advance.
 It may mean walking or going to places I am not  familiar with, city
streets full of noise and confusion.  Even though I am  trying to look calm, a
wave of terror comes over me as I imagine walking  the streets of Boston by
myself.
"Arturo smiles as if he knows what is going through my  mind.  'Don't
worry,' he says soothingly, 'we'll go slow at first.   The real world is not
going to hurt you.'"

You might best describe seventeen-year-old Marcelo  Sandoval's condition as
his being on the high-functioning end of  the Asperger's spectrum.
Nevertheless, his attorney father Arturo  has, until now, consented to Marcelo's
long-time attendance at a  special private school and to his son's living in a
customized tree  house in the family's yard.  But, in order to return to
Paterson for  his senior year, instead of the public high school in which
Arturo prefers  he now be enrolled, Marcelo must spend this summer successfully
working in  Arturo's law firm, in the mailroom, under the direction of a
young woman named  Jasmine.  Arturo owns the law firm in partnership with
Stephen Holmes, his former classmate at Harvard Law School.  Holmes's  son
Wendell, a Harvard student and world-class sleezebag, is  also being required to
work the summer at the firm.

There are four important  and interwoven threads to the story as it moves
forward: Marcelo  coming to discover that he can sense emotions that he
previously did  not believe he could experience; his coming to know and form a
mutual trust  and friendship with Jasmine; his challenges of dealing with
Wendell; and  his quest for a humane resolution to the situation -- one he
discovers upon finding a photo buried amidst law firm files -- of a pretty
adolescent girl who has had half her face savaged in a car accident because  the
windshield manufactured by the law firm's largest client did not break on
impact into lots of little pieces as it should have.

Being that there are just too many books, I have learned  that, before I
begin contemplating a best-of-the-year list, I should at  least try to look
back and find one of the more important books I've  so far missed, and read
it.  MARCELO is a book that has gotten a  load of praise and which I was told,
long ago by many, that I must  read.  Now, fortunately, I have done so.

Because of Marcelo's condition, this book has  been compared by some to the
best-selling CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN  THE NIGHT TIME.  I wouldn't be
in a hurry to make that comparison,  being that I enjoyed this one so much
more than I did CURIOUS  INCIDENT.  If I had to compare MARCELO to another
book I  would, instead, point to (the nonfiction adult book from a decade
ago) A CIVIL  ACTION, which is probably the last time I was so emotionally
caught up in a  legal thriller.

And Jasmine is just such a great, complicated character who  threatens to
steal the show.  At those times when Marcelo is forced to be  working
elsewhere, I repeatedly found myself trying to peer around the  corner and see
how/what Jasmine was doing.  And Jasmine's father has  got to be the funniest
adult I've met in a book this year.  Yeah, I  can sure see what everybody is
jumping up and down about.

And on top of everything else, we are exposed to an  extraordinary piece of
music by Satie.  Here is a YouTube video of one  rendition.

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al5U1WJ48rM_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al5U1WJ48rM)

So play the video and, if you are as delinquent as I was  in reading this
one, it's time.

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks _http://richiespicks.com_ (http://richiespicks.com/)
_http://www.librarything.com/profile/richiespicks_
(http://www.librarything.com/profile/richiespicks)
BudNotBuddy@aol.com
_http://www.myspace.com/richiespicks_ (http://www.myspace.com/richiespicks)

FTC  NOTICE: Richie receives free books from lots of publishers who hope he
 will Pick their books.  You can figure that any review was written  after
reading and dog-earring a free copy received.  Richie retains these  review
copies for his rereading pleasure and for use in his  booktalks at schools
and  libraries.