Hello,

I am in a new position this year. Accelerated Reader is a big focus in this
elementary school.  The configuration of the elementary schools has changed
this year from kindergarten - grade three to kindergarten - grade five. At
my interview I was asked about programs or events that might help to create
a sense of unity and bring the school together as one. I discussed  events
such as Read Across America, Martin Luther King Day of Service, Black
History Month Celebration,  and a school wide spelling bee for grades three
an four which I had chaired in the past at previous schools.

The principal asked me for suggestions for events to make the library the
focal point of the school.  Events that parents and students could
participate in throughout the year. I suggested several.

She has now asked me to come up with one event as a culmination of the
student participation in AR throughout the year. She wants this have an
ongoing goal attached that the students will work toward all year. She was
thinking of some type of competition that would have a big WOW of an event
in May or early June that the students will really look forward to and work
toward. There is not any money available for this right now. It would need
to be an evening event and tied to books and reading as part of the event as
well as the goal. Right now with all the changes I am facing in the new
position my brain is not working.

Any examples or suggestions are greatly appreciated.  I will post a HIT with
what I receive.

Thank you!

Allyson Cogan
Teacher Librarian