Jo Reinmiller wrote:
>But even though students are taught Dewey from early elementary up at my school,
>many students could not find a book if left to their own devices.  I know that I
>could find a book by Dewey number without any previous exposure to the system
>simply by following the signage that shows which way according to the number.
>It's rather like looking for your hotel room.  Why is it that students seem unable
>to do this?  I'm wondering if there is a silent rebellion going on.  Perhaps
>students are rejecting the system, and it is time for the rest of us to move on.
>I'm serious.  How do we remain relevant?

Call me a grumpy old man, but what's so hard about using Dewey (or LC,
for that matter) to find a book on a shelf? I admit that a computerized
catalog is FAR better than the old cards, but it seems that too many
people of all ages seem to think that whatever they want must somehow be
placed into their hands with no effort on their part.

When a class comes in to look for books, I'll tell them that books on
this subject are in this area, that subject is there, and then let them
hunt. Since my library is quite small, I can see everything from
anywhere in the room. If a student has made an effort to find a
particular book, and can't, I'll give more help. Students who want me to
get the book and hand it to them are pointed to the appropriate shelf
and left to walk the 20 feet or so to get their own book. I have little
patience with laziness.

Sorry for being a grump. We're having parent-teacher conferences this
afternoon and evening, and at 3 hours into the 7-hour total I've not had
a single parent come in for a visit.

--
David Lininger, kb0zke
MS/HS Librarian