In my original post, I asked for "behind the Newbery scenes" info.  Below there is
a list of resources (mostly online), then quotes from LM_Net members.  Thanks to
all who responded.

From a librarian who has a Mock Newbery Club:
http://www.weedsport.org/webpages/msouthorn/index.cfm?subpage=5944  (PPT at the
bottom of that page, listed as a file called "Newbery Award Overview."  Great
website with lots of links!

Judy Freeman’s  experiences on the 2000 Newbery Committee in Books Kids Will Sit
Still For 3; chapter entitled “The Blueberry Medal”

Link to article by a past Newbery member:
http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/ejournals/VALib/v48_n3/parr.html

Terms, criteria, and a list of current members:
http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/alsc/awardsgrants/bookmedia/newberymedal/newberymedal.cfm

“Committee members are mostly public librarians with a connection to children's
services, but there are usually a couple school librarians, maybe an academic
librarian (probably manages a children's lit collection) or children't lit prof..
This year the committee includes the editor of the Bulletin of the Center for
Children's Books, which is a bit unusual, but not unheard of.”

“ a colleague of my wife was on the committee when Crispin was chosen. Nancy
Johnson is an Eng prof at West. WA. U. who teaches children's lit courses but
she also does outside consulting and has reviewed for journals and written
books.”

"The committee membership is not a secret. Some of the members are elected,
others appointed. The discussions and deliberations of the committee are secret
and the members cannot talk about what goes on in the meetings. There is usually
a mix of people on the committee, they can be public librarians, school
librarians, and even retired librarians. All are members of ALSC."

“The publishers send them just about every single book that will qualify. My
mother served on the Newbery Committee years ago and we had UPS at the house
almost every day delivering books. For the Newbery, at a certain point, I think
the committee members get very good at judging a book relatively early on (they
may not finish every book). But for the Caldecott, I think the committee reads
every one. “

The committee members receive submissions from publishers all year long and keep in
contact with each other via e-mails, they meet during the annual and
mid-winter meetings. There are HUNDREDS of submissions every year and the
members read each one.

The deliberations are confidential, so you won't hear anything about how a
committee narrowed the field down to the ultimate winner.  And the public cannot go
and sit in the audience and listen to discussion (there is no audience)--like you
can for the list committees (BBYA, Notables, Quick Picks, etc.)

History
In 1925 the work was put under the charge of a committee of Children's Section
members that was comprised of:
• The Section officers (president, vice president, past president, secretary, and
treasurer, with the vice president serving as the Newbery Committee chair)
• The four members and chair of the Book Evaluation Committee (a forerunner of
Notable Children's Books)
• The chairs of all Children's Section standing committees (Book Production,
International, Membership, Professional Training, and Publicity)
• Three members-at-large who are elected by the Children's Section membership
• Five school librarians (the chair of the School Libraries Section and four
appointed members from the School Librarians Section)
Because the Newbery Committee included the Section officers and Children's Section
leaders, the committee had the power to change the terms and procedures. Today
these sort of changes are not within the power of the Newbery Committee. They can
only be made by the ALSC Board.

--
Sandra Lingo, Librarian
Delhi Middle School