I got this from the American Libraries Direct:As the American Library Association
(ALA) has emphasized since first enactment of the Consumer Product Safety
Improvement Act (CPSIA),concern for children’s safety is our first priority in
providing materials to young patrons. On August 26, 2009, the CPSC’s final rule
on children’s products containing lead was released. In the rule, CPSC
confirmed that libraries have no independent obligation to test library books for
lead under the law. CPSC also announced its intention to release a Statement of
Policy specifically providing guidance for libraries with regard to the treatment
of older children’s books thatcould potentially contain lead. According to our
conversations with CPSC officials, that Statement of Policy should be released
within the next several weeks.While we await the Statement of Policy, ALA
recommends that libraries take the following actions. If a library is aware that
any children’s book does indeed contain lead above the legal limits or
otherwise presents a danger to children, it should remove it from public access,
for instance by moving it to the non-circulating collection. We would also ask that
if libraries do learn of any books containing lead to please let the ALA –
Washington Office know so that we might share that information with other
libraries. When the Statement of Policy is released, we will promptly notify our
members.If you have any questions, please feel free to contact JessicaMcGilvray,
Assistant Director of the ALA Office of Government
Relationsat jmcgilvray@alwash.org or
1-800-941-8478.http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=3560 Josephine Dervan,
MLS -Adjunct InstructorSchool of Communication and  Information Rutgers
Universitydervan at optonline.netHe who has a library and a garden, wants for
nothing- Cicero