Hello,

Last week I asked for ideas for fun summer reading programs.  Here are the
results:

Put up posters of celebrities reading or posters advertising reading for
fun, you know one's with pictures of dragons or adventures like exploring a
cave on them. YOu could probably find some online to print out. Put up a
banner in the library advertising reading or get involved with the public
library. The school year is coming to an end and most classes are not really
doing much right now so see if you can arrange a last minute field trip to
the library and show kids what's available to them there. I don't just mean
books, but activities or volunteering. Do read alouds of the first chapters
of various books, but do not go any farther some kids might be interested
and read them over the summer. See if you can check out books to kids for
the summer (if you think they're responsible enough for that).

I plan to provide Reading Staff Development for our faculty this summer.  We
will "split-up" both the Middle School and Elementary Battle of the Books
titles for summer reading.  They will independently enjoy the book and
prepare questions that will be used during our 2010-2011 programs.  We will
meet at least 4 times during the summer for "coffee" to share our progress
and turn in questions.  I've had a very positive response.  Almost 75% of
our faculty has agreed to participate.

Last summer, for the first time, I made the school library available to
students every other week for two hours. It amounted to 5 days. They could
come in and check out books or read or work quietly. The computers were not
available because of summer maintenence and updates, etc. I asked students
to voluntarily complete a short book review for books they read over the
summer. If they were returned to me before the start of school, students
were entered into a drawing for prizes (I actually got a local store to
donate a bike). We didn't see overwhelming traffic, but the kids who came
were consistent and read like crazy. I did require students to have a signed
permission slip before they could check out that reiterated the fact  that
they were still responsible for library materials -- no fines, but payment
if books were lost or damaged. I wasn't paid for my time, but my principal
did agree to count it as comp time.

I also sent a notice to families at the end of the school year to take
pictures of the students reading during the summer and email them to me. I
created a bulletin board in the fall of all the pictures titled "Oh, the
Places We Read!"

I have done bingo cards several times for summer reading and it is always a
hit.

      One year I did it that each space was an "award winner". We had
Newsberry's and for one space they were asked to read a Caldecott to a group
of little ones.

Smartie Awards, State winners, Lamplighter awards, you get the idea. There
are just a ton of awards out there from around the world and we used many of
them.

      Another year I set up a bingo card where they had to read to their
parents, or read for an hour while their parents read their own book for an
hour, or read a book that their parents read when they were younger, or read
a book their parents picked for them (and then they had to pick one for
their parents to read). It was just a time of getting the parents more
involved in reading with the kids and it went over very well also.

This year I am working on setting up a schedule according to age for reading
a certain number of pages for each of the 7000+ islands here in the
Philippines. If you read enough for 1000 islands (for example) you get a
small prize, 2000 you get another prize, so on and so forth. I am just
letting them read whatever they want this year as opposed to other years
when I have been more specific about it.

Last summer, I chose 8 books for my Young Adults to read.  We met each week
to do an activity from a theme from the book.  On the last day we met, we
played softball- right here in the library :)  I wrote about 15 questions
from each book we read, then assigned them a value (single, double, etc...).
The kids chose teams and when each person was up to bat, I would pull out a
question.  If they answered it, they took their base.  If it was wrong,
strike.  It was hillariously FUN!  We are doing it again this year.  I think
the kids will be more prepared this time, though!

Happy Reading!

Diane Averett/Librarian

Kerr-Vance Academy

700 Vance Academy Road