Hello!
   I volunteered to do a half-day of orientation at the Middle and High School
for the kids who are currently in sixth grade. I have some ideas (below) for what
to do and a book of 100 icebreaker/ team-building activities to sort through, but
wanted to ask those of you who have done it before to share your totally excellent
suggestions/ ideas/ etc. I will post a hit in a week or so. Please share!!

~April van Buren,
district librarian

Mesa Vista CSD
Ojo Caliente & El Rito, NM
MsRyanPCHS@yahoo.com

Here's my vague agenda for the orientation:
Tentative Schedule:
8:45 a.m.  Opening Assembly (auditorium): Welcome and overview of school policies
from the Principal & Guidance counselor
(allows time for transportation from El Rito Ele. to Mesa Vista MHS)
9:15-9:40 a.m.: LIBRARY TOUR and brief orientation
9:40-10:  TEAM BUILDING - team building activities to mix the kids from both
schools and give them a chance to get to know one another better (and in a nicer
way than when they competed in basketball and talked against the opposing school…)
10-11: LIBRARY SCAVENGER HUNT - split the kids into three mixed teams (mixed with
both schools, genders, etc.) who will compete in a library scavenger hunt for
information and clues (This would be a “trick” as it would actually be a
library orientation that would involve using the computer catalog, finding a
nonfiction and fiction title, using the online encyclopedia, finding a biography,
using the reference shelf and southwest collections, getting to know library rules,
etc.)
11-11:55: STUDENT-LED tours of the campus: I still need to talk with Mrs. Lujan
about having trustworthy FFA members give small groups of students tours of the
school
11:55-12:25: lunch with the high school? (or one more team-building activity and
then lunch after the high school)
After lunch,  ERE students will return to El Rito and OCE students will return to
6th grade class