Hi everyone,
I have a quick question.  Do you allow students in 5th/6th grade check out the
audiobooks or playaways in your library?  When I first came to my school, there
were many rules about these kinds of things (although this is another topic for
discussion).  I've gotten more assertive with my clerk and am running the library
in the best interest of the kids.  In the past, the students could  NOT check these
out nor the videos.  I understand the videos are reserved mainly for the teachers,
and I am fine with that.   However, I don't think I should be limiting access in
light of IEPs, 504s, etc. these kids have with regard to reading styles and formats.

It seems my clerk wants to run the library and enforce the rules from years ago.  I
have different ideas.

Also, is it truly necessary to keep the library open after school for 5th and 6th
graders?  When the school was grades 6-8, it was open.  However, last year it
seemed the kids who came were just there to fool around and my clerk would be
constantly yelling at them.  When I have my library classes in the library, she
also yells at kids to take their feet off the chair rung, etc., etc.....

I want to start the new year off on a positive note, so any advice would be great.
Thanks!!!!!

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu