Hi all!

I am a long time reader - first time poster! :) I am now in great need of
expert advice!

I am entering my fourth year working as a middle school librarian, and just
this past year, I lost my library aide due to budget cuts. While I realize I
was very lucky to have an aide for as long as I have, I am also being kept
up at night trying to figure out how to keep the same level of service
without one. I know...I can't, and I am slowly and sadly learning to accept
reality. However, it is hard for me to stomach, as most of the things I am
realizing I have to give up are for the students.

I'm just wondering how everyone who is already a one-man or one-woman show
in their library is doing it all? (I bow down to you!) I'm wondering if
anyone may be willing to share their secrets? I work on a flexible schedule,
which I know is going to make it even harder to try to eat lunch (as I know
most of us barely do already). I'm wondering too if any of you use daily
checklists for yourselves? I've seen many public libraries doing it, and I
was wondering if anyone had developed one that they might be willing to
share? Or if you have any other tips or suggestions on how to survive on a
flexible schedule without any assistance?

I have a few great students lined up that can help with some basic things,
like check-in and organizing shelves. I'm just not sure how you do
everything else all alone, while still hoping to teach frequently. I also
run four student book clubs, yearbook club, and forensics club, so I'm just
not sure how to do it all anymore! My school is scheduling me a lunch
period, but then that eliminates me from working with any kids that period.
I'm distraught. I know I'm just lucky to have a job though, but I want to
make sure I do the best I can in this situation. I'm hoping I can receive
some guidance from my wonderful LM_NET colleagues!

Thank you so very much for any advice or suggestions you can provide! I
appreciate it all! I'll gladly post a hit if anyone is interested! :)

Thank you again for any advice, and thank you all for providing so much
guidance over the years!

Kristen MacGorman
Middle School Librarian
Bernardsville, NJ