Last year I systemically went through my entire DVD/VHS collection
ascertaining first through my circulation records which titles were
absolutely necessary to the curriculum. I then solicited teacher feedback on
what resources were essential to maintain and then researched what could be
replaced by DVD. I also added new DVDs by content/subject area and then
finally let teachers take old VHS that we ascertained could no longer be
retained by the library. All teachers had access to catalogs that let them
choose what would work best for them.

Daniel is correct that not everything is available in DVD.

One reason I decided to devote some library funding to this project is that
our district let go all of the subject supervisors and I knew that teachers
would have a harder time getting new resources without that support. The
teachers were thrilled to be consulted and are looking forward to using the
new materials. It was also good public relations for the library during
these tough economic times.

Amy Ipp

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Daniel Stuhlman
<ddstuhlman@earthlink.net>wrote:

> I just purchased at set of eight VHS videos produced by CNN called Cold
> War.  The set originally cost more than $500.  CNN has no intention of
> transferring this series to DVD.  It is among the finest historical series
> ever made.
>
> While popular movies may have been transfered to DVD, some historical and
> educational tapes have not and may never be released by the publishers in
> DVD format.

Amy Ipp
Librarian
Millburn Middle School