Thanks to all for the wonderful and varied suggestions. I have lots to think about.

I really appreciate all the useful and detailed advice.

Below is the original TARGET, followed by the HIT. Individual responses are
separated by a horizontal line.

ORIGINAL TARGET:

I have been the librarian in a middle school, grades 6-8, for 5 years. The first 2
years I was required to teach a class that we called "Library Skills" for 1 period
a day, but since then the principal has managed to free me up with a completely
flexible schedule, which has worked out extremely well in our school. I have been
able to collaborate with teachers in teaching research skills and I've done a lot
of book talks, individual readers' advisory,etc.

I have just been forewarned that I may need to teach one class every other day to
6th grade this year because we are moving to a rotating schedule and my principal
isn't sure he can see any way around it. I am completely comfortable that he
understands and appreciates what I do and will not give me the class if he doesn't
have to.  That is not my issue.

The issue is: what should I teach? The principal is entirely flexible so I can
teach whatever I'd like. In the past, I have taught research skills, but I would
like to try something different. I am "competing" in a way with other exploratory
classes that are perceived by the students as much more fun - it is their time
outside of academics to explore other subjects such as drama, computers, gym, band,
chorus, tech. ed. NO ONE chose to take "Library Skills" in the past if s/he had a
choice, and I feel that the fact that I was teaching such a class reflected on the
way they saw the library as a whole.

Also, I see the need for more reading practice among much of our population, and I
would love to run a sort of "reading appreciation" class, or something that might
be enjoyable, a little outside the norm, engaging, and also improve their reading
skills. Maybe incorporate book trailers (with which I don't have any experience
YET), blogging, something along those lines....

What would you teach to a mixed-ability class of 6th grade students if your choices
were wide open? Have you taught such a class and was it successful?

Any ideas you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

HIT:

[...]

I wouldn't call it reading appreciation either. Think of a catchy name: Teen Reads
and Blogs, maybe or something like that.

Have students search for a book trailer and read a book that they see---go to
youtube or teachertube or booktrailers4all.

Have them blog with each other or set up a wiki space for comments. They would use
technology and novels

––––––––––––––––

How about a version of CA. TEEN Web 2.0

The CSLA 2.0 team is pleased to announce - just in time for lesson planning for
next year - the newest update in the suite of 2.0 tutorials.

Teen learning  [http://teenlearning.csla.net/]  has been updated [includes a
beautiful new look with new links], moved to edublogs [so that it is readily
available at school] and emphasizes not only 2.0 learning, but 2.0 digital good
citizenship.

Then focus on aqnimoto or movie maker and have them do a movie trailer. Be sure
your district allows access to the sites.

How about note taking or genres????

How about changing the name to "Information and Communication Skills"? I had a
Communications Club when I was in Middle School. Students used computers and
Ellison Cutters to help teachers with their banners and bulletin boards.

We created order forms and teachers who were getting ready to start a new unit
would place an order a week or so before -- size of letters, number of particular
letters, color (using school paper and poster board or they furnished their own),
etc. If they wanted something "typed" they would write in longhand and a student
would do it for them. (Of course, that was back when using a computer was a
novelty.)

You might make it more "library like" by teaching students promotion strategies --
they read a book of their choice and then create (using the above devices) a
bulletin board promoting the book. Those might be stored in large envelopes or
cardboard poster folders for teachers to check out or to place in the hallways to
inspire students to read.

I see the name as being the trigger to encourage students to enroll -- maybe a
"Brainiacs Class"?

Hi Sarah - something that comes to mind (and I don't know if this is a whole class
worth) - but how about preparing students to become "critics".  Movies, books,
multimedia equipment  they could write reviews on video games even.  Since
reviewing a resource goes above just saying "that was good" or "that was bad" I'm
thinking this could get pretty involved.  Much of my graduate level coursework was
spent reviewing sources using certain criteria. The fun part for the kids comes in
in applying it to different websites, books (such as graphic novels, "chick lit",
etc.), and games that kids enjoy and then they can post their reviews on a blog or
wiki site.  In the beginning, I could see studying reviews others have written.
What do you think?  Just something that popped up in my head - not sure if it could
work.  I just know how kids can be about saying they like or don't like something
and that's usually followed by a "just cause". :)

I am planning on starting a blog this year. Why not do a blog with the class; that
way they would be reading and writing. Let it be an inclusive blog just for that
group. You could do so much with it including their reactions to a book you read, a
book report, teach them about online safety, etc.

check archives using 6th grade..........then add lessons..........then
skills.......scope and sequence...........library media
curriculum...............information literacy   ....those terms.

"Maybe I could even have them take their promotional materials and do booktalks
during SSR in other 6th grade classes...."

I *like* that idea. Or maybe the best ones could talk to 5th graders at the end of
the year to let them know how much fun the library is when they get to 6th grade.

Betty

Follow this link...I have several presentations you might could use.

http://lumpkin.ga.lcm.schoolinsites.com/?PageName='Library'&Page='Presentations'&iSection='Library'&CorrespondingID=&StaffID=

If this does not work go to

http://lumpkin.ga.lcm.schoolinsites.com/

and follow Media Center.....Presentations.

One other thing my communications club did was occasionally make announcements over
the PA system when the normal day's announcements were short, but I do know that
many teachers hate the time spent with PA announcements.

I'm a middle school librarian in Rhode Island and have taught several Library
Literacy and Computer Literacy classes last year after our school became a grade 6
only.  This year, it's going to be a grade 5/6 school, so things are always
changing!

I taught a lot of research-ended skills using both the computer and print
materials.  Last year, I took a two-week technology training and was awarded an
interactive whiteboard similar to the Smartboard.  I've used it to demonstrate
bogus vs. true websites, website evaluation, the 2010 Census with games on its
website, etc.  It would be great for author studies, online reading, and also book
talks!  The students love the hands-on experience using the whiteboard.

This year, I would like to start a blog or wiki with the students focusing on
books, authors and themes.  When  my kids have computer skills classes, I would
like them to develop a Photostory project based on a favorite book of theirs or
their year in 6th grade to give them additional technology enrichment.

One of the aspects of our grade 6 library curriculum is Internet safety.  We have
used iSafe in the past but the district didn't renew the license; instead, they
hoped we could explore other programs at a lesser cost for the district.  So, we
have looked at Netsmartz and others.  Internet safety is critical at this age
because a lot of our kids have Facebook and Myspace accounts (even though they're
supposed to be at least 13 years old!) as well as unlimited texting on their
cellphones.  I teach a lot with regard to cyberbullying, staying safe on the web,
and even access Facebook in school (with permission, of course!) to show the
students how to set privacy options.  They tell me they appreciate this.  A final
lesson of Internet safety is taught by a local police officer who teaches the kids
about staying safe from Internet predators.  He has a Powerpoint presentation that
he uses and goes into a lot of  situations that the kids may encounter and how to
avoid them.  This is really popular with the kids.

A great website to get the kids interacting and writing online is Tweentribune
(http://www.tweentribune.com), which is a FREE site for tweens to read and post
comments about current events.  You would simply sign up, create an account and
then set up a classroom for your students to create accounts in using first name
only/password.  Then, the students can read the stories and submit comments.  You
would get these comments first for editing and proofreading for appropriateness,
then submit them for publication.  The students LOVE to see their comments in print!

Hope the above ideas help you.  Best of luck this coming school year.

I would split time between teaching kids about reading for pleasure (giving time to
read often and getting them involved with "social" book sites) and teaching them to
make book trailers that you would display in the library or on your site. It is my
humble opinion that the "new" focus of the library is on the benefits of reading,
not on finding information--though that, of course, is a whole other way to go.
With such popular video/audio production software being available at little of no
cost I suggest a video production class.

You could use iMovie, Windows Movie Maker, Flip videos, Audacity, Animoto or
Photostory.

The connection to library would be information skills.  You can cover ethic use and
copyright while teaching them to use sites like Creative Commons or FlickR.  The
use of music presents a challenge because they must follow fair use guidelines.
You also can teach writing through storyboarding techniques, after all the video
looks slick but it is the story that carries the message.  They will learn about
"using their own voice" as they try narration, as well as the power of silence.
Now, we are getting into the artistic realm and the many Art concepts that can be
included as you focus on Visual Literacy.

Well, it sounds like you are in for a good year. I've never heard of "library"
being offered as an elective such as art, etc. You will have to tell your successes
and flubs to the rest of this group as you build your program. That might be
another option that will keep certified librarians in a school.

Good luck. I look forward to hearing how it works out.

I don't know if this helps or not, but our high school has a class called
"Indepenedent Reading" that is very popular...in the class, the students are
allowed to read self-selected books.  They have a goal that they must meet for
grading purposes (X pages a week) and they conference with the teacher on a regular
basis to discuss the book. Once a week, the class turns into more of a "book club"
with students sharing what they are reading.  The teacher also "sneaks" a lot of
library skills into the class (they come up to visit regularly!) as well as other
important literary skills.  She did a variety of other things - book reviews,
author visits, writing to authors, etc to mix things up too.  A new teacher is
taking over the class this year and I know that she wants to do more with book
trailers, blogging, etc.  However, the best part of the class is walking by the
room and seeing a room full of kids of varying abilities all engaged in books of
their choosing - so cool!

I do a lot of game type activities with my 5th and 6th graders.

Some of them are:Musical chairs with new books under the chairs. When the music
stops, oneperson is out, but not before everyone reads any section of the book
under their chair for about a minute. I randonly choose someone to tell something
about the book they thought was interesting, etc. We play until the last student is
inthe chair. The students love it.

I have 6 deck of cards with all the genres. Each genre is represented with its name
and an illustration. There are 4 cards for each genre, but each has a different
picture to further emphasize the variety within each one. I have classes of 25 -30,
so they play in groups, each with a deck. We have played Spoons (their favorite),
Go Fish, etc. The cards are made on half of a large index card and laminated. It
was a lot of work to make them, but they take really good care of them, so I
probably won't need to replace them for 8-10 years.

I have 6 computers, so we have a team relay race to see who can search for and find
the designated titles and call numbers for a list each group has.The members have
to sit in  a line on the floor behind the person at the computer while they wait
their turn.

If you want it to be fun enough to compete with other exploratory classes, how
about a movie versus book class or something like that?  You could have a weekly
kids read to kids session, if they have access to younger kids they could read to.
I've never done Battle of the Books, but some kind of reading competition might be
fun!  Good luck!

The first thing I would do is survey the kids and brainstorm and use as many

of their ideas as you can...they could host trivia questions of the day for

prizes, do broadcast announcements, make posters/powerpoints advertising

books they recommend...they could read aloud to any students you have in

exceptional children's classes...could write and publish children's books

for an elementary or preschool class in another school...could do a "GOT

BOOKS" campaign and take photos of teachers reading their favorite books

from childhood - make a milk mustache out of whipping cream! And post the

photos in the media center or hallway...make a board game out of

books/authors/characters/key scenes...BOOKCHASE is a good example...find

ways to catch plagiarism in student papers, make poster size examples of

citation forms or genre...

definitely  a combination of free reading/reading appreciation, Web 2.0, and
library skills/research skills.

check archives using 6th grade..........then add lessons..........then
skills.......scope and sequence...........library media
curriculum...............information literacy   ....those terms.

Thanks again!

Sarah Woo, MS, School Library Teacher
Holten-Richmond Middle School
55 Conant Street