This has been a most interesting discussion and I can post a hit if anyone is
interested and if most of the replies have not gone directly to the list, which I
think they have.

Just want to clarify a few things. I didn't say the medal winners were boring- I've
read some good ones and some I just couldn't finish. The "boring" comment came from
a 12 year boy who likes to read-- sometimes- in contrast to his sister who likes to
read all the time. He really needs to be engaged in a book to read, she, like me,
will keep going even if it's not her favorite book.

My  observation was that when he saw the "medal" on the cover, his immediate
reaction was that the book would be boring an indication to me that we sometimes (
as I did with this book and my grandaughter and, as apparently, he has experienced)
tell kids they should read this book because it won an award not because it is a
book that we think this particular child will like and that we need to be aware
that some books, although they are well written, age with time. I just thought it
was sad that his experience with "medal" books was so negative.

We've all had occasions when a book that everyone praises leaves us cold-- guess
that's why we have libraries full of books and many authors instead of one
book/author for all!
Darlene Yasick
LMS Retired
Wyoming, MI