Thanks for all the responses. This is a great list! The list follows
my initial inquiry.

> Request:
> Fiction in which the setting really influences the story (both you
> and  I know this to be true of the vast majority of books, but I
> wants to students to hone in on the setting and think about how it
> affects the story line).
>
> Their book report will eventually analyze the main character in that
> setting (retell--pointing out the MAJOR actions/reactions &
> interactions UNIQUE to that setting).
>
> Subsequently, they will rewrite a small portion of the story,
> dramatically changing the setting, and summarizing how the story
> changed.
>
> I was thinking about the genres of mystery, adventure, fantasy,
> historical fiction, or science fiction.
>
> If you could pull some books that would be great.

any Gary Paulson book, Isle of the Blue Dolphin

I'm not sure whether she is thinking of novels, or whether she might
like a picture book or two to kick off the lesson.
The Sea Chest, by Toni Buzzeo, is an example of a picture book in
which the setting is clearly essential to the plot and also the
formation of the main character.

  Linda Sue Park's Single Shard is a good example of that.  So is
Hannah's Winter.   T.A.Barron's Great Tree of Avalon's series of 3
books all center on the root realms of Avalon-so that would be great
too.

The one that I always use is the Harry Potter series--Hogwarts vs.
Diagon Alley vs. his Muggle home.  This is a great one for this age
range because so many are familiar with it and it's pretty
accessible.  NOTE: because of the movies, I'd use this for the
example, rather than the assignment.

The Hunger Games books would be good, as would Gregor the Overlander
series.  Westerns really play off of setting as well.

-Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaleson (Setting: Alaskan wilderness)
-Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (Setting: Arizona Desert)
-Flush by Carl Hiaasen (Setting: Florida Keys)

I usually use The Babe and I-Adler because it is a different place and
time

"All Summer in a Day" takes place on Mars. The sun only comes out once
every seven years. Great short story.

Hugo Cabret /
Atherton : the house of power / Patrick Carman
The Gollywhopper Games / by Jody Feldman ; illustrations by Victoria
Jamieson

Young Adult Fiction - "The Hunger Games" and "Catching Fire" by
Suzanne Collins.

Scott Westerfeld's series:
The Uglies
The Pretties
The Specials
The Extras

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time India by Sherman Alexie
Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson
Al Capone Does my Shirts and Al Capone Shines my Shoes by Gennifer
Choldenko
The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis
Schooled by Gordon Korman
The Hunger Games and Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Weedflower by Cynthia Kadohata
Keeping Corner by Kashmira Sheth
The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau
The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
Surviving the Applewhites by Stephanie Tolan