From: Barbara Braxton [mailto:barbara.288@bigpond.com]
Sent: Thursday, 7 January 2010 6:59 AM
To: 'Lindy Pals'
Subject: RE: [LM_NET] MIDDLE: Mature Collection

Hi Lindy
I was just checking my deleted items folder for something else and I noticed that
there were a
number of emails to the list asking you to contact them because their emails to you
had bounced.
Even if you contacted those people, maybe others haven't even realised their email
bounced. Perhaps
that might explain why you may have missed some and people thought you had edited
your responses.

I appreciated your hit because the responses reflected what I did in my library
way-back-when when I
had a Senior Fiction collection separate from the rest and labelled as such so I
could cater for
those students who were ready to start on YA stuff. We were a K-6 school. To read
that this would
breach the law in your country and there is a precedent set just totally astonished
me because I
think it shows the teacher librarian implementing the duty of care we are all
entrusted with as
educators.

My experience was similar to the one of the person who said that complaints went
down (we only ever
had a couple because I had this section from the very start) and senior reading
increased. At the
beginning of each year I wrote to the parents of the Yr 5/6 students explaining the
purpose of the
section and that it might be possible that their child would choose something that
they were not yet
ready for and, if so, just to return it. Being pro-active was smart and I can only
remember one
issue which fizzled almost immediately. In fact, it was the teachers who needed to
be told just
because a Yr 3 student was an independent reader did not mean they were ready for
the themes of this
section.

Good luck with your discussions and decisions.
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
COOMA NSW 2630