Here is the hit I promised.  Unfortunately, I had about as many requests for help
as I did helpful hints.  It seems I'm not alone in my struggle to download
audiobooks.

I have two accounts:  One with NetLibrary and one with Overdrive.  I also have two
players: an IPOD and a Creative Zen.  I've tried them all and haven't found much
success.
Here's the original post:

I am doing my best to download audiobooks from the library into itunes.  I choose:
Save in Itunes but then I can't find it when I go to Itunes.  When I use the
tutorial they show a folder that says audiobooks but my taskbar in itunes doesn't
show a audiobooks folder.  I usually don't have any trouble with technology but
this has frustrated me for some time.  Thought I'd devote today to working on it
again and hours later I still can't find the audiobook that I've downloaded.  I've
tried deleting it and downloading it again and again.  I can do a search and find
the title, but it always takes me to the itunes page and the title doesn't show up
anywhere in any folder.

Does anyone have a downloading audiobooks for dummies tutorial?

+++++
Hi, have you checked under preferences under the iTunes tab to see if you have the
books category checked to show up? I just learned about this a few months ago. It
was the solution for me. Good luck.
Did this--didn't realize it wasn't checked so this worked.  Unfortunately, the
books didn't go into this folder.
++++
They could either be downloading elsewhere on your computer or look in
the music folder (where your indiv sings are) because that's where my
downloaded books show up.  (I've looked in all folders but haven't found them yet.)
+++++++++++++
Through my public library, I have to use a piece of software called Overdrive
Media. When I transfer, the books go directly to my iPod. They never show up in my
iTunes library. Sometimes the default location shows up as my iPod, but the
"harddrive" version of the iPod, not the music player version, if that makes
sense--then I can't find the books I've transfered.
(I didn't have my IPOD connected to my computer so maybe I need to try that.  I've
had some problems with my music stored being erased when I tried to download books.
 I think I need to find out how to get them in separate folders.)
+++++++++++++++++
What browser are you using to download the audiobooks? Firefox is less clear about
where it downloads material than Internet Explorer.

Who is providing the audiobook? NetLibrary provides audiobooks for my local public
library but they are not compatible with iTunes.
http://www.vigo.lib.in.us/downloadable

(I'm using IE browser.  I was actually using Overdrive for this book.  I think it
depends upon the plan you have for NetLibrary.  Ours supposedly has some titles
that are IPOD compatable.)
++++++++++++++++
Have a look in your downloads folder.
Sometimes I have to transfer them across into itunes from there.
It DOES work!  I use itunes and audible every month.

( Not in my downloads folder but that was a great idea.  It's encouraging to know
that someone is having success--I'll get there!)
++++++++++++++++++
Try looking in your music folder, rather than audiobooks. When I download books
they go in there instead. I think maybe purchased ones from iTunes will go in the
audiobooks folder.

(Good idea.  Wasn't there.)
++++++++++++++++++
Are you downloading from audible?

Have you checked through the different folders in itunes?  Once on a new computer
they appeared in some other area.

Its so much fun to listen to stuff.  It makes my commute a real joy.
+++++++++++++++++++
I have had audiobooks end up in the podcasts file in Itunes. The only downloads
I've tried were from Libravox.org.
++++++++++++++

So I tried all these suggestions with the exception of having the IPOD connected to
the computer.  It seems that the books go to different folders and that everyone
has to find out how their individual source works.  I did call NetLibrary and they
walked me through a manual download a few months ago.  It took us an hour and a
half and then my player froze and I had to get a new one.  So it's been a very long
learning experience.  The audio overdrive is more user friendly.  I have been able
to download some books and burn them to CD if the book is available in that format.

I TRULY APPRECIATE everyone who took the time to offer suggestions.  I will conquer
this at some point.  I guess I'm a little embarrassed because I'm supposed to be
the one who is teaching the others!

Jan Cole
Duncan Public Library
Duncan, OK