From: "Ermlick, Judy E" <jermlick1@PGHBOE.NET>
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Sent: Sat, July 10, 2010 3:27:35 PM
Subject: Re: [LM_NET] "What's So Special About Specials" Comment

I seldom say "me too"-- but I agree with Wendy--  seeing everyone is an
advantage  yes, but the reality is that I've watched middle school teachers
fight for flex scheduling-- only to be cut the next year. Even at the elementary
level, if the library has a librarian 3 days-- teachers are told to just find
the time to send them and often it is only a small percentage of "library users"
who  get to go. Yes I've known alot of librarians who are dynamic and make it
work-- but, I've watched some of the best be cut in a heart beat-- unless they
are providing that almighty prep period, or doing lunch duty or something that
admin needs to ,eet the needs of the organization of the building. But I can
honestly say that every kid-- at one time we had seven special ed classrooms-
now included-- but every kid hears the stories, learns about how to use A
library, and had some tech skills. Yes I sometimes miss the individuality of
some libtary work-- but when I see schools without libraries AT ALL, and
students that are in high school before they even SEE a librarian, I too am very
thankful for my 8 periods a day, 5 days a week life.

Judy Ermlick
John Minadeo School
Pittsburgh Public Schools
6502 Lilac St.