I have had experience with two different charter schools and now an online
virtual school. I agree, a lot depends on the quality of the administration
and the commitment of the teachers - just as in any school.  The two charter
schools were  nightmares for my grandson. Of the 5 teachers he had, only two
seemed really  able to accomplish anything. The last one supposedly had over
12 years experience, but was unable to control her classroom, as I saw in
person when I would come to pick up my grandson.  Neither of them had
libraries, although each year I was told they would be getting a librarian
the next year. I even volunteered to spend the summer setting it up.  And I
agree, there were more worksheets and "practice for the standardized test"
activities than actual learning.  For example, he brought home a minimum of
4 worksheets for homework.  Each day the Math was different- one day
addition, one day division, etc. no consistency no real learning. Sometimes
the worksheets had no correlation to what they were supposed to be studying.
Usually it seemed like more busy work to me. I had over 12 years experience
in K-8 schools  and worked on curriculum development so I was familiar with
the state standards.   My grandson had to take 4th grade over.

Then my son found this online school.  It is, in effect, a form of charter
school as it is sponsored by the public school system. This school, though,
has dedicated administration and teachers who work very hard to maintain the
quality and resources necessary.  All the teachers are certificated. Many
have multiple years of classroom experience. The curriculum closely follows
the state standards. My grandson is required to take the standardized tests
at  an approved site. Communication is great and the teachers use technology
to enhance the curriculum and to communicate both with individuals and the
class . While it does have a library that they can borrow books from, since
the students are from all over, there is no librarian instruction.  However,
all are strongly encouraged to use the public system and, of course, I have
been teaching my grandson.  My grandson has been attending this school for
two years and made the Honor Roll this year.  He socializes with more
students as they meet often and go on field trips more than he had ever
before.

So, a lot depends on what type of charter school it is and how it is
run...as with any school.

Toni Koontz
Retired Librarian
Columbus Ohio