This is a very interesting discussion in a long time.  Thanks for
initiating...

I always maintain that libraries will be with us until the end of time.
Librarians have the ability to adapt to any new challenge.  This makes
us 'special'.  It is in many cases people outside of libraries that
think we will become part of the dust on the shelves; and it is the same
people that usually never uses the library more than once.

If librarians start to think that we are obsolete, then that librarian
did not challenge the norm, and did not implement the newer technologies
that work for the library.  One do not have to jump on every tech wagon.
As librarians we will evaluate and then drive that wagon.  We were doing
it in Alexandria a millenium ago, we did it when Dewey find an easier
way to find books on the shelves, we did that when the first PC landed
on our circulation desks, and we are doing it today when our students
read 'paper' books, e-books, research online, and use databases and Flip
cameras to enhance their projects.

Will we beome obsolete?  Only when human beings stop gathering
information in any form or shape.

Danville Fourie

Librarian

James Monroe High School