Pamela Thompson wrote:
> Something just said about technology being more sexy than books. Why can't we use
>the technology to make reading and books sexy? Start blogging and link your blog
>to your library webpage. Start a wiki. Start to use the 2.0 tools and get a
>Facebook page.

It seems to me that we've allowed a false dichotomy to arise here. The
issue is NOT technology versus books. The real issue is using the right
tool to do the job. I've heard the statement "The computer lab is for
research and the library is for library stuff." No, the library AND the
computer lab are both useful for research, and the library AND the
computer lab are both useful for relaxation.

> Think streaming book talks, streaming computer loops of book trailers in the
>library, library advocacy videos, promote the books and libraries using the "sexy"
>technology. There are already great book trailers on Youtube, teachertube,
>booktrailers4all, etc.

Yes, there are all useful tools, and most of us ought to make more use
of them.

Let's focus on our mission - ALL of it. Yes, we are to help kids (and
adults) find pleasure reading materials, but that isn't our only job. We
also are to teach them what resources are available for them to answer
their own questions. Those resources may be a proprietary database,
Google, or a book. We also need to help them learn to evaluate
information that they find, no matter what the source.

As for Facebook, Twitter, blogs, etc. again, we need to use the proper
tool. A couple of years ago, I set up a Facebook account. After having
it for a year, I gave it up. Why? I didn't find it at all useful. Last
fall I set up another account, and used it a bit differently. At first,
it seemed like a useful tool. Now, though, I'm thinking of dropping it.
About the same time as I set up the FB account, I set up a Twitter
account. Again, I dropped it, and I probably won't bother setting up
another one because I see no point in it FOR ME. Others might find it
useful, but my situation is such that it is not useful. I do have a blog
for my political views, and this summer I'll set up one for my
professional (library) views, and another one for church stuff.

My point is that if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem
begins to look like a nail. The tech people have one tool (a computer).
We have many tools (computers, books, periodicals, audio, video, etc.).
Let's show our administrations that WE are the people who can SOLVE
problems, not be problems.

--
David Lininger, kb0zke
MS/HS Librarian