Richie's Picks: SOCKSQUATCH by Frank W.  Dormer, Henry Holt, September
2010, 32p., ISBN: 978-0-8050-8952-3

"Sock it to me
Sock it to me
Sock it to me
Sock it to me"
-- Aretha Franklin, "Respect"

"Flowers tremble.  Trees quake.  Socksquatch  lumbers."

The other morning, while in Washington, D.C. for the  American Library
Association convention, I had the pleasure of attending a  breakfast
presentation hosted by my friends at Henry Holt.  Editors and a  number of
librarians
in attendance took turns giving presentations about many of  the children's
and young adult books that Holt will be publishing for the fall  season.

I am sure that many of the books presented are quite  wonderful; I will be
taking a look at them in the coming months.

Leaving the breakfast, I was a bit perplexed by something; but  I realized
this morning that what I first considered  a bewildering oversight (not
presenting this book) was merely my  failure to recognize that I was the only
third grade boy in attendance at  that breakfast, and that it is me and my
Captain Underpants comrades who will  find SOCKSQUATCH by Frank W. Dormer to be
one of the crowning  achievements of the entire Fall 2010 output of
children's publishing in  America.

"Socksquatch searches.  'Got sock?  Foot  cold."

I do wish that I knew the name and email address of the lady  librarian I
almost knocked over in my haste at the end of the  presentations when it was
announced that we could help ourselves to the  advance reader's copies
displayed in a corner of the room.  I would love to  apologize to her.  But
having already read it several times, there was  no way in hell I was going to
let someone beat me to that one precious  advance copy of SOCKSQUATCH.

SOCKSQUATCH is a sad, sad picture book story with a happy  ending about a
monster with a cold foot.

"S-O-O-O-C-K"

After failing to get what he needs from  the werewolf named Wayne (who only
has fur); and after tripping over  the sock that is much too long which he
acquires from the guy with the long  green head named Frank; Socksquatch is
in tears.  His plaintive cry is  heard by a mummy named Martin who just so
happens to have a damsel  under his arm.  Fortunately for Socksquatch, the
damsel is delighted to  share one of her socks with him and -- for the moment
-- the world is a happy  place.

Now, if only I could get them to send me a little Socksquatch  puppet, I'd
be set, too...

(BTW, SOCKSQUATCH would be a great book for  introducing young students to
a book's copyright page.  It is there  that we find that this book is
dedicated "to SOCKRATEEZ, finder of lost socks.")

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks _http://richiespicks.com_ (http://richiespicks.com/)
BudNotBuddy@aol.com
_http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/people/faculty/partingtonr/partingtonr.php_
(http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/people/faculty/partingtonr/partingtonr.php)

FTC  NOTICE: Richie receives free books from lots of publishers who hope he
 will Pick their books.  You can figure that any review was written  after
reading and dog-earring a free copy received.  Richie retains these  review
copies for his rereading pleasure and for use in his  booktalks at schools
and  libraries.

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu