Original post: I am required to teach an after school activity, but the
library has to remain open after school hours. I need some ideas about
library-related or at least indoor activities that you would advice.

And here the ideas sent by fellow Netters:

I would do an author study or book club.

*

I worked with kids on powerpoint and xtranormal book reports and their own
stories.

*

I run an after-school book club.  You could do something like that.  Also,
after school tutoring is a great way to help struggling students while still
being in the library.  Another idea, if you have the tech for it, is a film
club.  Have students watch classic and contemporary movies and learn about
film reviewing.

*

A few ideas:

~a book group (I have a battle of the books group that ends in a
district-wide competition)

~any arts/ crafts you may know, such as crocheting, knitting, needle
felting, or something similar

~movie-making, using iMovie, Windows movie maker, or something similar

*

scrapbooking? chess? checkers? bingo? board games?  video games?  story and
a craft?

*

I do scrabble, bridge, euchre

*

School newspaper?

School website- student contributors/editors?

Student generated video club?  Explore animoto, moviemaker, animation tools?

Book club/book groups?  (students could have some f2f time, but also compose
and publish book reviews, book recommendations, etc.)

*

My first thought is to have book discussion groups or literature circles,
but I'm sure you've thought of those already. Have you thought about
teaching them board games and card games, especially those that require some
type of logical thinking or organization, like chess or spades?

*

Depending on your computer resources, how about some research projects? Age
and number of students? How about some book discussion groups - could even
be just partners. Crafts, relating to literature and/or nonfiction topics.
Ex, origami and Japanese, weaving and Greek myths, lots of possibilities.
How about clubs - chess, Scrabble, bridge, other board games, knitting and
crochet (can do that while discussing books).

*

I don't know how long the activity needs to be or what level of student you
are working with, but I play a game called six corners in my library.  The
corners are sections of the library:  biography, fiction, easy books,
reference, periodicals, nonfiction.  Students walk to a section of the
library and I roll a dice/spin a spinner labeled with these sections.  I use
a dice and each section is a number.  If I roll the number then any students
standing in that area are eliminated and sit down.  We play until all
students are sitting.  To speed things up in the end, I roll multiple dice

*

Read alouds, book clubs, have kids help out in the library with shelving and
such. Computer club, or let the kids decide have them vote on what they
would like to do and which ever activity gets the most votes wins.

*

Do you have a smart board in your library? You could teach students how to
create presentations using a smartboard

*

I do writer's group after school and it works well. The kids come in and I
give them a topic to write on and it keeps them busy. They can type their
stories on the computers if they choose.

*

Chess

*

I was thinking you could start a book discussion club if you don't already
have one in place. There's also Reader's Theater.

Thank you very much to all who responded!

--
Carolina Cuello
Head Librarian

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu