Hi all,
The new ELL teacher at my elementary school asked me if I could recall three
books she remembers from years ago, and I was sorry I couldn't help her.
She gave me permission to paste her request here with her email address, for
any of you who can answer her. Thanks for the collective wisdom! Her request
is below:

Here are the descriptions of the books I remembered from my childhood and
was trying to track down.  I first encountered them in the early-mid 1970’s
and think they were published in the sixties or seventies.  Thank you!
(feel free to just forward responses to me and I can sort thru them)

   1. Storybook for young children about a turtle who is hibernating in the
   mud and his home is disrupted by some big bulldozers that are tearing up the
   swamp to build houses/ shops.  He has to face danger to find a new home.
   Book had a vivid green cover, lots of pictures.  (I loved this one!)
   2. Another story book for children, about an otter that goes sliding and
   a moose joins him on a parade and then other animals.  It is not Little Joe
   Otter by Thornton Burgess, it is more recent than that, but very cute, same
   idea that all the animals have a parade going up and down the slide.  Very
   funny illustrations.
   3. For older kids, not quite young adult, maybe 10-year-old: a boy goes
   exploring in the Okeefenokee or similar swamp in Everglades area and he
   meets a Seminole Indian who is still living there.

Send responses to: Mary Leming
  ESL Teacher, Dogwood Elementary, Smithtown, NY
mleming@smithtown.k12.ny.us

Thanks again!
Sheila Tobin Cavooris
Dogwood Elementary Librarian