Good Afternoon,

To summarize... as many librarians wanted a hit as responded to the
questions.  Below I have listed and tabulated the responses.

*         There were three responses indicating it was OK to burn DVD's
from Video's, if one kept the original video and called the DVD's
back-ups.

*         There were five yeses to, Is it a violation of copyright law
to burn your own DVD's?

Thanks to all who responded,

Susan

As I understand it, as long as you own the original vhs, you can make
one copy for purposes of back-up. If you get rid of the vhs, you can not
keep the back-up! I would recommend burning the vhs ones that you must
and storing the vhs tapes somewhere, out of the way, in a box. That way
you have your original and back-up and are within acceptable use.

Good luck,

Yes.

try googling digital copy DVD VHS copyright

Yes, because VHS are not yet an archaic format.

We are capturing ours directly to the computer and then using a free
utility to convert to playable form. I'm assuming it's okay to use call
this copy our 'backup.' Then our staff just log onto the networked hard
drive with those files and play thru their media projectors using
Quicktime. Of course, this only works if you have that capability!

I purchased the Roxio Easy VCR to DVD kit for $50 at Best Buy and
downloaded the free Videora Xbox 360 converter. Let me know if you want
more info.

Unfortunately, I think it would be a violation of copyright law to ever
copy VHS to DVD, unless you have the express written permission of the
copyright holder.  But to be sure, you could pose that question to the
columnist in School Library Journal who covers copyright issues.

The other option is to keep the VHS format for which no DVD is
available.  By the time the VHS become physically too old to play, the
material may be outdated as well.

Yes. It certainly is.