I have to admit I fall on the more liberal side of this argument. For years
now, both in my previous public elementary school position and in my present
grades 6-12 independent school position, I have allowed checkout until the
end of school and beyond. Checkouts wind down during the last few weeks of
school but never stop entirely, and I do check out a few books over the
summer. I don't advertise the fact, but I let students take books if they
ask. I do check to make sure there are no plans to move however, and I don't
do summer checkouts to students who already have lots of overdues. I get
four weeks off during the summer, which I spread out, and if students want
to come by when I'm working, again, I check out books. I figure I'm not in
the business of counting inventory - my job is to get kids reading any way I
can. Stopping checkout with weeks to go before school ends doesn't support
anything besides maintaining the inventory - a worthy goal perhaps but not
my primary objective.

I think it's important to note that there is no right or wrong in this
argument - we all have different needs. I do think that as a profession we
(the larger we) tend to err on the "maintain the warehouse" side a little
too often, so I try to avoid that thinking whenever I reasonably can.

Cathy
--
Cathy Rettberg, Head Librarian
Menlo School