When I read this I recalled one parent I contacted about her child's lost
books. Her response was "Why do you think I should be responsible for his
books? I've told his teachers year after year not to let none of my kids
take things home. I'm not the one that's responsible. It's your fault for
lettin' them take stuff."  She went on for quite some time.
I'll stop letting the kids check out two weeks before school ends. Most of
that time will be spent trying to locate the missing or lost books. Our
children are not supposed to get their final grades nor graduate with debts
on their records, but the teachers don't stick to it nor does the district
it's just not supported. I do two book fairs, with adult helpers, a year.
This year that was my book buying budget.
       Every year I promote our public library even attach an application
       for a library card to my summer recommendation reading list. Plus I
       tell the kids, several times, that just like sports if you don't
       practice you ability drops. I give them analogies to whatever sport
       is most popular with that group then remind them that reading is
       just like that, the more you practice the easier it is. If you stop
       it's harder to get back up to speed.
       I do everything I can to put books in all the kids hands. My
       withdrawn books go on a free table. I have even given some of my
       book fair $$ toward the "Book Fairy" a mysterious creature that
       gives gift certificates for books to our most underprivileged
       students. But my budget just can't swallow the cost of summer check
       out. It's too hard to get books back with a weekly check-out I can't
       imagine all summer returns.

Susan Egan
Prospect Elementary 3-5th grade
Oberlin, OH