We are being asked by our Principal to consider opening our High School library to
the public over the summer.  We have one staff member who works through the summer
with plenty of work to do on inventory, shelf checking, new book processing and
Summer classes utilizing our library.  We have permitted students to check out
books and utilize the library in the summer although this really hasn't been
advertised due to security concerns and the students don't really seem interested
in reading programs etc. that we've attempted in the years past.  We are a HS
library servicing 9-12 grade and have roughly 60 computers for student use.  I'm
wondering if anyone has experience opening up their library to the community at
large over the summer and how this has worked.  Our computers require a student
login and our students are uploaded into Destiny from our registration records in
order for students to gain access to checking out our collection.  When the
community is involved how do you handle check-outs and computer usage to
non-students?   Does anyone else do this with one library assistant (non-certified
librarian) and make it work?   How do we ensure safety of the summer school
students when the community is utilizing the library as well?   Our library is set
off by itself within the building and no others employees are anywhere near the
library most of the time.   The outside public would have to access the library
through our main office and walk a considerable distance to the library.  Anything
we should consider or know before jumping in to this?    Would you recommend ½
days, limited hours etc.?   I would really appreciate any and all
feedback/suggestions etc.   If there is interest I'll post a hit.

Cynthia Feimster
Great Valley High School
Library Assistant
Ski Club Co-Advisor
Ice Hockey Advisor
cfeimster@gvsd.org

The most wasted day of all is one which we have not laughed. - Anonymous

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu