Hi All,

Thanks a bunch to those who sent me suggestions for ordering...I love
getting your input!

Diane Briggs

SLMS

Troy High

Troy,NY

briggsd@troy.k12.ny.us

My kids love Karen Kingsbury, Scott Westerfield, Twilight of course,
Nicholas Sparks, Jodi Picoult

@@@@@@@@@@

With such a broad area to cover, I suggest you go with the old standard
HW Wilson Senior High Catalog --- they now have stars for the most
highly recommended titles and indications if they are out of print.

You should be able to find a copy at your public library or borrow one
from another high school in your area --- I subscribe to it (it comes
out every five years, with yearly supplements) and love it for filling
holes in the collection.

@@@@@@@@

Have you consulted YALSA's Best Books for Young Adults lists? A friend
is the chair this year and I was able to go their discussion session at
ALA Midwinter-all titles are well-reviewed and highly recommended. Are
you looking for recent publications? Our company also puts lists

together which can be accessed on our web site (www.mackin.com   you

would need to register but it is a quick process with no obligation to
purchase). I also archive many lists in my personal files which I use to
help in my work with opening day collections which I could share. One of
them, which you might might in this listserv's archives are the year
annual recommendations made by LM-Netters about the most popular titles
they circulate each year. The new one should be coming out soon but
there is one for 2009.

@@@@@@@@@@

There are so many that I could list but I will just add a few that I can
think of off the top of my head.

Kite Runner/A Thousand Splendid Suns

Warrior Heir set by Cinda Willaims Chima

Nicholas Sparks - Can't keep them on the shelf

Graceling/Fire by Kristin Cashore

City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass - Cassandra Clare - she has
just started a new series with book one connected to this set. Then #4
of the set I listed is coming out next year.

Traitor series by Andy McNab

Being by Kevin Brooks

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Timetables of History is a wonderful book! Each two-page spread covers
multiple areas (politics, religion, science, music, etc.) by year. You
can find the year(s) you are interested in and see what was happening in
other fields.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

the canadian  publisher ORCA has 2-3 pages of teen offerings- I bought
them all and they have gone over well.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Here are some must haves that I have found:

Supplies

Vista Tape to fasten the cover of the book to the text.

Acid Free Book Tape

Label Protectors

Colored dots

Books

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

Diary of a Wimpy Kid series by Jeff Kinney

Cirque du Freak series by Darren Shan

Twilight series by Stephinie Meyer

Meg Cabot books

Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan

Pendragon Series by D.J. MacHale

Orca books by Orca Publishing

Resources

Rookie Guide to Research by Barbara Mills and Mary Stiles

published by Union Creek Communications

Best Websites

www.infotopia.info <http://www.infotopia.info/>

www.virtuallrc.com <http://www.virtuallrc.com/>

www.ipl.org <http://www.ipl.org/>

www.Bartleby.com <http://www.bartleby.com/>

http://lii.org <http://lii.org/>

www.biography.com <http://www.biography.com/>

http://www.bls.gov/oco/

www.easybib.com/

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Our students have really enjoyed :

Hunger Games and Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins Graceling and Fire by
Kristin Cashore Bloody Jack series by L.A. Meyer

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I would suggest the following as great summer reads:

1.  The Book Thief by Zusak

2.  My Sister's Keeper or the Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult 3.  A
Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier (non-fiction) by Ishmael Beah 4.
Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson 5.  The Five People You Meet in Heaven
by Mitch Album

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Sold by Patricia McCormick

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (anything else she wrote is good as well)

The Expected One : A Novel (Magdalene Line Series #1)by Kathleen McGowan

Green Angel by Alice Hoffman

Green Witch by Alice Hoffman

Slave Day by Rob Thomas

Hear These Voices : Youth at the Edge of the Millennium by Anthony
Allison

Half the Sky : Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide
by Nicholas D. Kristof, Sheryl WuDunn

What Are You? : Voices of Mixed-Race Young People by Pearl Fuyo Gaskins

Guys Write for Guys Read : Boys' Favorite Authors Write about Being Boys
by Jon Scieszka

Tough Guise Violence, Media & the Crisis in Masculinity (this is a movie
not a book, but it makes for great material)

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Wow - I could probably spend at least an hour writing a list and then
miss tons of stuff.  So here are just a few - know you will get lots of
great responses and I look forward to seeing the HIT you'll post.

Fiction series:
Hunger Games
Twilight
Chaos Walking (The Knife of Never Letting Go)
The Immortals
The Mortal Instruments
Vampire Academy
The Summoning, The Awakening, (can't remember the third title)
Wake, Fade, Gone
The Maze Runner (only the first has been published)

Single titles:
Thirteen Reasons Why (Jay Asher)
Acceleration (Graham McNamee)
Sold (Patricia McCormick)
What Happened to Cass McBride (Gail Giles)
Son of the Mob (Gordon Korman)
A Child Called It
First Part Last (Angela Johnson)

Plenty of Guiness Books of World Records

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu