Richie's Picks: BRONTORINA by James Howe and  Randy Cecil, ill.,
Candlewick, August 2010, 32p., ISBN:  978-0-7636-4437-6

"There will come a time when everybody who is lonely will be  free to sing
and dance and love.
There will come a time when every evil that we know will be an  evil that
we can rise above."
-- Frank Zappa

“It is just a fact. The men go off and fight the wars and fly  the
airplanes and come back and help design and build and test them. The fact  that
women are not in this field is a fact of our social order." -- John Glenn
(1962) as quoted in ALMOST ASTRONAUTS by Tanya Lee Stone

"Each Junior/Senior may invite one guest.  Your  guest should meet the
following criteria:
-may be in grade 9 or 10 at Itawamba Agricultural High  School
-may be in grade 9-12 at another high school
-may be a college-age student
-must be of the opposite sex." -- School district policy  (2010) on prom
dates in the Mississippi high school where Constance McMillen  wanted to take
her girlfriend to the prom.

"That four hundred acres is good land, all right, but it's a  white man's
kind of land, too expensive for you.  Why, it wasn't so long  ago it was
against the law for a negra, I don't care how white-looking, to even  own
farmland in the state of Mississippi, and here you are talking about buying
Hollenbeck land?"
-- the white banker, B.R. Tillman, in THE LAND by Mildred  Taylor

As he spoke from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, might  Martin have
really dreamed that some young child of color toddling around  out there at that
very moment would come to embrace The Dream and grow up  to become
President of the United States?  I can only imagine that he  did.

Barack's election is unquestionably an  inspiration.  And, yet, the path to
self-actualization -- to becoming  everything that a child is capable of
becoming, irregardless  of his or her gender, skin color, sexual orientation,
family economic  condition, or physical limitations -- remains a path that
is so often booby  trapped every step of the way with the nonsense of
naysayers and  the accumulated prejudices built of ignorance  that are passed down
from generation to generation.

"Brontorina had a dream.
"'I want to dance!'"

And so it is, that BRONTORINA, a whimsical  picturebook tale about a
dinosaur who has hopes of becoming a  ballerina, is a marvelous story through
which children can similarly come  to imagine achieving what others might claim
to be the  impossible.

"'She is too big!'
"'And she does not have the right shoes!'"

I know these two girl characters at Madame Lucille's Dance  Academy for
Girls and Boys!  They are the naysayers.  I bet  anyone who has lived through
middle school and high school will readily  recognize the pair.

Fortunately for Brontorina, Madame Lucille is not a  one-size-fits-all
ballet teacher.  After things don't at first work  out, Madame comes to the
realization that accommodations are  necessary in order to have an enormous
dinosaur succeed in doing those  leaps and poses.

Illustrator Randy Cecil contributes huge dollops of humor and  heart to the
story with his depictions of the humongous tangerine-colored  brontosaurus
banging her head on...err...through the ceiling, and narrowly  averting
various other potential disasters as she strives to dance  amidst the other
students.

And in the end -- thanks to the support of those  characters who believe in
acceptance and inclusion -- hope triumphs and  potential is fulfilled.

"Now Madame Lucille's dance academy had room for  everyone.
"And it all began with a dream."

Bravo!

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks _http://richiespicks.com_ (http://richiespicks.com/)
BudNotBuddy@aol.com
_http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/people/faculty/partingtonr/partingtonr.php_
(http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/people/faculty/partingtonr/partingtonr.php)

FTC  NOTICE: Richie receives free books from lots of publishers who hope he
 will Pick their books.  You can figure that any review was written  after
reading and dog-earring a free copy received.  Richie retains these  review
copies for his rereading pleasure and for use in his  booktalks at schools
and libraries.

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu