Thank you all for sharing your experiences and ideas. A fee people requested that I
post a hit for the following original post:

"I have been asked by our PTO to make suggestions for our yearly author
visit. This year they are looking for someone with a poetry slant. We
are a Kindergarten and Grade 1 only school. Thanks in advance for any suggestions
you have."

Here are the responses:

 I'm doing a leave replacement in a K-2 school on Long Island.
They are having author/illustrator Douglas Florian visit in November. His art
website is http://www.douglasflorian.com/.  His blog is
http://floriancafe.blogspot.com/.

My nephew is an author/illustrator, maybe a bit for older
kids, but I use some of his books with my Prek and K students. He is located in
Brooklyn and I am not sure if that is convenient for you. He does book signings
and possibly has done school visits.

Check out Andy Rash, Are you a horse?  and  Agent
A and Agent Z.

The other books are targeted for older
kids!---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My school had Brod Baggert (sp?) 5 years ago-the year before I started. He was
popular.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You could look into Ted Scheu. (pronounced "SHY") He's here in VT.  We
are a K-3 school and I had him 2 years ago for our 2nd and 3rd grade.
He was quite good at least for that grade level.  He offers a number of
programs and I'm pretty sure one of them was for the little ones.  He
goes by Ted Scheu, The Poetry Guy.  Very organized, good website, nice
guy.

We had Kristine OConnell George last year, and she was great!  Check out her
website...www.kristinegeorge.com, I think...

I would love to suggest an amazing poet as your visiting author.  I hosted her at
my school in Maine several years ago and we loved her.

Rebecca Kai Dotlich http://www.rebeccakaidotlich.com/welcome.html. She is gentle,
enthusiastic, and a great lover of children as well as an enthusiastic presenter.

We had this guy - http://www.childs-voice-poetry.com/ - and LOVED him.

Kenn Nesbitt
 came to my school two years ago and was great; kids, teachers, and
parents were all impressed.  He has an extensive website you can see to
get an idea.
Dick Allen is your state's Poet Laureate.
 He may be able to come as part of his tenure as Poet Laureate.  If not,
 he may be able to direct to you poets in your area who would be able to
 come.  The Connecticut Poetry Society
 may also have some resources.  Poets & Writers may also be able to
help you find someone in your area.  Here is the link of writers listed
in Connecticut http://www.pw.org/connect/state/writers/ct  The individual writer's
page will let you know if the writers will go to schools or not.

What about Douglas Florian- he lives in NY

and Brian P. Cleary - I think he loves in Ohio- He does a lot with phonics and
language.  http://www.brianpcleary.com/   Click poetry and phonics links.  Maybe
he's going to be in the NY area anyway.

 * To contact an LM_NET Moderator:  LM_NET-request@listserv.syr.edu