Here are the responses I received regarding the appropriateness of including Pretty
Little Liars in the middle school collection.  Thank you to everyone who shared
their thoughts and opinions!

http://www.eduref.org/plweb-cgi/fastweb?getdoc+listservs+LM_NET+470555+1+wAAA+pretty%26little%26liars
 (link to the archives)

has been made into a tv show, thus the increase in demand. It's popular here. I
don't think I would put it in middle school though. Sex occurs but is not
explicit...drugs...drinking, etc.

I only read the first one, and I have to admit the mystery hooked me and I wanted
to keep going.  However, I don't think they would really be appropriate for middle
school.  The main characters are at least sixteen with wealthy parents who provide
cars, and have the kind of independence that can go with that - parties, drugs,
sex.  The upside to that, is that unlike Gossip Girls, the families are involved
and there are consequences for bad choices.  But still, I think, too mature for
grades 6 - 8.  I've heard other middle school librarians use the line, "Oh, you
want to save that series for when you're in high school, you'll like it more then."

My seventh grade daughter is so into this series that she's begged me to buy each
book as soon as it's released. I thought they were too racy for sixth grade, but
apparently no one else's mom thought so. I've only read bits and pieces, but know
that the TV show is somewhat tamer than the books. The books are like teen soap
operas involving scandal, secret adoptions, lesbian issues, murder, and stalking
from "A" who sends text messages indicating he/she is watching the every move of
the main characters.

Personally, I don't think they're good examples of quality writing--the sentences
are short, and the dialogue is simple. However, the kids love the series!

Jennifer Ripstra, M.Ed, MLS
Librarian
Miller Middle School
San Marcos, Texas