Bill , you recently responded to Doug Johnson's letter that he was putting
together a paper on student use of Internet and that he'd make copies
available. I too would like a copy. What I also would like to see
addressed, and I don't know it Doug has done this or not, is the question
of selection/censorship of the Internet for school/student use. We're all
very familiar, I hope, with controversies that arise regarding the
selection of traditional learning materials in schools (espec. school
library resource centres). The need for well-written and explicit
materials' selection policies has been well documented. What I have yet to
see (hear?) discussed is the whole issue of Internet access in this
regard. Should (could) an adequate (and manageable) selection policy be
developed? Has this already been done somewhere? How do the philosophical,
ethical, and technical factors involved with such a plan compare with
traditional selection policies? Any opinions/comments out here?

Ken Ellis
Head of Information Services
Acton High School
Acton, Ontario