Sherry,

You must be the person I referred to earlier when I wrote about NewsBank
Full Text.  What I said was that the microfiche product and the CD-ROM
product are not at all the same product.  I didn't realize this until my
rep pointed it out and explained the differences.  I'm not sure it is all
bad that students have to read the full text *while standing up*.  Might
make them hurry.  And they sure wouldn't be able to do the indiscriminate
printing I referred to earlier and which has become a big problem in many
libraries.  On the one hand, they will print anything without really
evaluating it - if they are able to evaluate it.  On the other hand, you
really can't blame them when they usually do not have enough time to
evaluate properly.  I can certainly remember going to the university
library and copying everything in sight, then taking it home to evaluate
later.

On Tue, 11 Jan 1994, Sherry Teller Ogburn wrote:

> Paula,
>      We have NewsBank Full Text on our network, and it has been a
> disappointment.  Since we do not have printers attached to our system, the
> students must read the full text while standing at the terminal.  Most
> choose not to use it.  Our original intent was for students to scan the
> article to see if it would be worth pulling the microfiche, but since Full
> Text does not cross-reference to the microfiche, this is not possible.
>      If you have printers on your system, the Full Text would certainly be
> used more frequently than it is used here.
>
> Sherry Ogburn     sogburn@tenet.edu
> Langham Creek HS
> Houston, TX

LM_NET Archive Home