I am female, have one clerk, 2500 students at a high school, and
I am the only professional.
In my district being male or female doesn't matter.  Each school
has one librarian.  Additional help is as follows:
Elementary schools have aide time assigned according to enrollment,
from 3 hours a day to 7 hrs .
Middle schools have NO aide time, but a few (6 or less) of the
huge schools (1700 students) might have a part time aide.
High schools have one librarian and one clerk, unless the school
has less than 1000 students (rural mostly) in which case they
have none.
Altogether, we are 160 librarians serving 140,000 students and
7,000 teachers.  We keep trying, but...
Hope this helps.

Lee Gordon
Eldorado HS (Clark County SD)