Thank you to everyone who has submitted ways to say "welcome" in a
variety of languages.  To date I (Jan Dougall) have received the following:

VELKOMMEN  Danish                   !BIENVENIDO!  Spanish
BENVINGUT!  Catalonian              NAZDAR  Czech
WITAMY  Polish                      SEJA BENVINDO Portuguese
BEM VINDO  Portuguese               YAW  Bella Coola Indian
HI YA'LL!  Southern USA             WILKOMMEN  German
LABAS  Lithuanian                   SHALOM  Hebrew
CROESO  Welsh                       E KOMO MAI!  Hawaiian
VELKOMIN  Icelandic                 KIA ORA  Maori
BENVENUTO  Italian                  BIENVENUE  French
HUANING  Mandarin Chinese           SALVE!  Latin

In addition, Bonnie Fulmer has provided me with the following list.  If
you can identify the language of any of these "words of welcome", please
EMail me.  If you have any other words that I could include, please let
me know about these as well.  Thank you.

KARIBU
MALOLELEI
AFIO MAI
VALKOMMEN (the A has 2 dots over it)
HOS GELDINIZ (the s has a comma attached to its bottom, kind of like a
cedilla; each capital I also has a dot over it)
BENVENUTI (Italian??)
SIYANIBINGELELA
DOBRO NAM DOSLI (the S has an upside-down ^ above it)
BINE ATI VENIT (the T in ATI has a comma attached to its bottom)
WELKOM
SELAMAT DATANG
MERHBA (the H has an additional crossbar slightly above the regular one
MIPELA WELKAM YUPELA
TONGA SOA
TERVETULOA
MALIGAYANG PAGDATING

Thanks Bonnie for taking the time to send these. Now, if anyone is able
to help, let's see if we can get these new greetings figured out!

Jan Dougall,                          Tell me, I'll forget,
Teacher/Librarian,                    Show me, I may remember,
Saskatoon Board of Education,         But involve me, and I'll
Saskatoon, Sask., Canada.             understand.
DOUGAL@sask.usask.ca                           (Asian proverb)

LM_NET Archive Home