About doing our jobs and how others see us:  I drool to be flex time
and I drool for a giant budget!  Meantime:   number 1 I think I have
great job security in being prep coverage and number 2 un-luckily,
luckily, my selecting and purchasing and processing time is minimal
with a tiny budget- so... I pump out tremendous lesson PLANS.  I do
enormous Public Relations.  I work as a library TEACHER - and push the
TEACHER part. I am NOT the 'keeper' of the books. I have displays of
student work in the town hall and other public places. I connect with
the public library.  I'm very flexible and friendly to work with. I
distribute info like crazy. I don't run out of the building when the
whistle blows. I replaced a certified librarian who had been covering
8 ! elementary schools at once.  Believe me, my administrators are
awestruck at what they see. I do my best, in my most cheerful tactful
way, NOT to let them forget it! And sadly, the bottom line is, I think
administrations do what they want - that the public school chain of
command is soooo huge and pardon me, out of control, that in the long
run - even at my best, one day the axe may fall.
Patricia Melville MLS
Pittsfield MA elem schools
3tunas@vgernet.net