You didn't supply your automation system, so some  may not apply.  I am on
Dynix Scholar
1. Inventory- using the portable scanner & the terminal  at  the same time
means  two can inventory at the same time,  cutting the job time in half.  I
also use a 75' cord which I put on the scanner just for inventory so I don't
have to move the books to the terminal or terminal to the stacks
2. As a second check-in/out when the lines get long or return pile gets high
3. I cruise the stacks with the portable and check out  titles in need of
repair or weeding to those accounts- later I  can print a list for someone
to pull & then examine those titles when I have time
4. To compile bibliographies for   faculty ( walk & scan then  print and
have pulled)-  or give to a teacher to  scan titles she  wants pulled for a
unit
5. Portable is invaluable if you have to inventory AV or equipment kept in
other locations, back rooms, up stairs,  or places without enough outlets or
ways to get the terminal on a cart in the room
6. If you have to bring books to a classroom or workshop & patrons want to
sign them out on the spot because of your  wonderful booktalk/ workshop,
you can give immediate service (do not use if this reason if you don't want
this job added or if you work with those who think librarians on  carts are
the way to go!)
7. If heaven forbid,  the circ. terminal goes down just as the check-out
line
is at maximum- the portable can be used to check out until the main terminal
is back up

email:  bbolitsk@frsd.k12.nj.us
Bernardine Bolitsky, Librarian
Barley Sheaf School Library