Holly wrote:

>Well, no one sent any book suggestions! =20
>
>This may be an opportunity for someone out there to write a book
>that's truly needed and marketable.
>
>Hopefully there are some publishers or budding writers out there in=20
>the LM_Net community.  This might make an interesting collaborative
>project for the LM_Net community.  Compile all the suggestions for
>teaching reference skills into a book!

Actually, I think that the problem is defined in the query itself,
Holly.  Any Up-to-date professional books, like my two titles below and
list member Debra Kay Logan's Information Skills Toolkit, will be written
as guides to collaborative teaching of information literacy skills in which
these skills are embedded in a unit of study team-planned, team-taught, and
team-assessed by the LMS AND teacher.  The reason for that is that AASL,
our national organization, defines collaborative teaching as best practice.

I know that this is a frustration if one is teaching in a school where you
are "coverage" for your colleagues' prep time and therefore your schoolwide
schedule is a roadblock to collaborative practice, though!  But, you might
think about how you can begin collaboration (at the coordination level) by
taking the IL skills out of a vacuum and tying them to projects already
happening in the classroom.  Yes, it will require more work on your
part--and coordination with classroom colleagues--to do that coordinating,
I know, but I guarantee that your students will learn more (and aren't we
all in the business of student achievement?) if they are taught skills that
they use immediately.  I like to think of it as teaching at point-of-need.

This is in no way meant to be an indictment of your program.  But I think
it's a reasonable explanation of why you aren't finding what you are
looking for.  Those books served a model of librarianship that hasn't
existed as an IDEAL since 1988 and the publication of Information Power One.

Best,
Toni

Toni Buzzeo, MA, MLIS <mailto:tonibuzzeo@tonibuzzeo.com>
Maine Association of School Libraries Executive Board Member
Buxton, ME 04093
http://www.tonibuzzeo.com
Collaborating to Meet Standards: Teacher/Librarian Partnerships for K-6
(Linworth 2002)
Collaborating to Meet Standards: Teacher/Librarian Partnerships for 7-12
(Linworth 2002)