Latex allergies are a very big problem in my school.  Last year three
children were diagnosed, one after wearing a latex mask at Halloween.
Consequently we cannot use latex gloves, balloons or rubber cement.  Items
that don't easily transfer to the air, such as athletic shoes or
basketballs, etc., are okay.  Rubber bands are okay, provided that they are
not "snapped" or used in direct proximity to affected students.

Allergies and asthma are becoming even more prevalent concerns in our
schools.  Children who have had no prior history of reactions have found
themselves in life-threatening situations.

As a side note, last spring on of our kindergarten aides' daughter-in-law
died after being stung by a bee.  Her last words were to assure her family
that she had never been allergic to bees.  This extreme case certainly
illustrates our need for concern.

Lynda Martin, MLIS

Brookhaven Elementary School

1215 Baker Street