I had asked for suggestions for hands-on activities related to a fairy
tale read aloud for students in grades 1-3 or 4-6. Thanks so much to all
who responded. Here's the excellent responses that were received:

The Legend of the Persian Carpet by Tomie dePaola to first graders.
And they selected a geometric pattern (from a choice of 6) to color with
markers (not crayons). I then mounted each classroom's individual
carpets onto brown paper and laminated the "classroom" carpets. I found
the geometric designs in Geometric Designs Stained Glass Coloring Book
by A.G. Smith

Another one that I did last year with grade 3 was Beautiful Blackbird by
Ashley Bryan.
After reading the story, I had students sketch a bird outline on white
paper (allows for erasures and corrections), then place the white paper
over a sheet of colored paper (can be colored xerox paper or
construction paper) and have both sheets on a small stack of newspapers
(creates a "pad"). Have students press down hard on their outline of
their bird...this creates a line to cut on, on the colored paper.
(option: have them cut out the bird on the white, then trace around it
on the color paper; or tape or staple the two sheets together before
cutting).... after they have their color bird cut out, they can
"decorate" the bird with some black marker. (If you don't have carpet,
you could use a paintbrush, as in the story). Color birds look great on
black paper on the bulletin board. Don't have a picture of this one,
sorry. For younger kids, who don't have the cutting dexterity, you could
have birds cut out already that they paint with black as in the story.

Have a look at some of the offerings at :
http://www.shambles.net/pages/learning/primary/FTmagic/

For grades 4-6, especially, if the fairy tales feature
kings, queens, etc., they can design a crest or a coat
of arms. Show examples (I pull the ones from Lord of
the Rings) and pass out a selection of colored paper,
scissors, glue, and markers (adding metallic paint
pens and glitter glue is nice if you can afford it).

Paper bag puppets are always fun. All you need are
brown lunch bags, crayons, glue, scissors and scraps
of construction paper.

Pete Madden, Librarian
Anchorage School District, Anchorage, AK
madden_peter@asdk12.org
http://www.asdk12.org/schools/gladyswood/pages/library/