Doyle_Tony wrote:
> Time to stir the pot.
>
> "...Even if we do not consider something sacred ourselves, we should consider the
>beliefs of others with respect..."
>
> Why would we treat them any differently than any other book we weed?  Where do we
>draw the line at respecting others' beliefs?  Should we show special reverence for
>the works of L. Ron Hubbard?  What about Wicca?  Or do we just respect the Big 3?
>Frankly I think some of this worrying over the Koran hints at  prejudice in our
>society against Muslims (i.e. we fear them).  Like Alan, I would only be weeding
>those books if they are unusable, so it's into the dumpster.  Just like I would
>with a book by Philip Pullman or Madeline Murray O'Hare.  If you are afraid of a
>backlash or if, like me, you have had people pull books from the dumpster and
>bring them back to you, then box them up before you dispose of them.  I will not
>let other people's beliefs dictate how I do my job.  If I did my YA collection
>would be a lot smaller as would the 500s and 600s.

I think that someone has already given us a good suggestion for the
disposal of "sensitive" items - take it home and deal with it there.

I've done that on more than one occasion when I wanted to be sure that
the item in question really went away. I've burned some items and put
others in dumpsters.

As for burning a book, has anyone actually tried it? I have. Books don't
burn well. I haven't tried adding one to a fire in the fireplace, but
they are just as likely to go out as to burn when put in the burn barrel
with the rest of the trash.

--
David Lininger, kb0zke
MS/HS Librarian