Good Morning

I had inquired about ceiling hanging Projector Screens and have received
some great responses.  My 2 biggest concerns were how it was connected
and did it hang properly.  I decided that I would like to purchase one
but I need to first see if we can hook it above the drop ceiling.

Thanks to all who responded.  I am always amazed at how quickly I can
get help from this group.

Lori

A few people asked for a hit so here it is.

Maintenance will have to go above the dropped ceiling to attach it.  We have
done it on our campus
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We purchased one last year from www.acpdirect.com and bought the kit to
hand from a suspended ceiling.  It works very well and they have very
good prices.  We installed one in the lunchroom.

Most screens can be mounted either way.  Your maintenance shop should do the
installation.  Glass beaded surface is the best for computer projection.  A handy
guide to screen selection can be found here.
http://www.projectorscreenstore.com/Projector-Screen-Buying-Guide-a/121.htm

We have acoustic ceiling tiles and were remodeled last year.  When they
were installing the tiles, the company came out and installed our drop
down screen. The power for it is installed on a column with a key only
access to raise or lower it. It works beautifully, but it could stand
to be wider.  We use it a lot.

Like most things, you get what you pay for. I have a smaller screen, 4'
x 4', here in the library. It is hanging from hooks that attach to the
bars that hold the drop ceiling. Works FB for me.

The larger screens are heavier, so that may be an issue. If you are
flexible in the exact mounting location, you can probably make sure that
there is a support wire running from the cross bar up to the roof truss
pretty close to where you want to put the clips.

This ought to work for most manually operated screens up to about 7' x
7'. Power-operated screens, or those larger than this, ought to be
mounted to the wall. There are mounting brackets specifically for these
screens, and they will work for smaller ones, too.

As for types, well, stay away from the bottom of the line, but otherwise
let your budget be your guide. I like lenticular screens, but anymore
that isn't as much of an issue as it used to be. They have the advantage
of reflecting the image back at a somewhat wider angle than others,
which makes it easier for people toward the sides to see. The downside
is that the image isn't as sharp up close as you might like.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I had one installed in my Jr. High library.  It's great!  They had to
go up above the ceiling tiles and use chains to connect the screen to
the rafters or the more stable frame.  It required two holes in the
ceiling tiles where the chains came through but it looked okay.  It
did hang very well, too.  Mine had a pull cord on it, which the kids
sometimes did walk by and hit it but not often. You can get remote
control ones, but they are much more expensive.

Get a screen with the CSR - controlled screen return....for a bigger
screen they slowly glide at roll up instead of rolling up fast with a
big bang.  I have a 2 big screens ceiling mounted on just ceiling tile
supports.  works fine.

I have 2 in my library for the 2 teaching stations. Yes, there are clips that
attach to the drop ceiling or you can screw them in with longer hanging wires. they
hang fine but with the clips I would be very gentle lowering and raising the screen.

I have used a standard projection screen hanging from the metal dropped
ceiling frame for years.  The custodian used some clips that attach to
the framework and it hangs just fime.  My only problems is pulling it
down since I am so short.  He also rigged a metal pole with a hook-like
thing on it just long for me to grab the handle at the bottom of the screen.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We got a fairly inexpensive 7' screen a few years back (don't remember the price or
vendor).  Our maintenance people installed some long hooks through the hung ceiling
to the rafters and it hangs from them.  The hung ceiling is not strong enough to
support a screen on it's own.  Ours works fine.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 Lori, I had two of these installed when we built a
new media center several years ago.  They have housings that are mounted
even with the ceiling tiles, and I'm sure they are too heavy just to mount from
a dropped ceiling.  I would think anyone who handles them could give you
the specs.  And be sure of your location.  I'm not really happy with
the location of either of mine.  So far the mechanism works great on
them, and I love having them out of the way in the ceiling.

Lori Goldman, LMS
Rockland Country Day School
Congers, NY
lgoldman@rocklandcds.org