I want to add my 2cents worth...if it is not too late.  I think
eliminating the CIP would do a horrible disservice to those of us who are
dependent on ancilliary help for cataloging.  I know our entire dept will
suffer if this happens.  I have trained my cataloger and she has taken
two independent courses but she still needs assistance with subject
analysis.  At least she is able to do descriptive cataloging and at least
the CIP allows her to look at some suggested subject headings so she
doesnt go too far astray.  If I had to check ALL of her work from
scratch, things would come to a thudding halt and be very hard to start
up again.

Somewhere, someone is out to make a buck by eliminating CIP...I bet you
its OCLC! (we can't afford it!)

hope we can find a way to communicate this to the powers that be!

all best,

Roselle

American School for the Deaf
West Hartford, CT