Paul:

Our library offers some music CD's, but only those selected specifically by
instructors in our music department. For example, the jazz band and ensemble
teacher received a grant and with it bought jazz CD's for his students to check
out. Since they are housed in the library, they are available to all students,
nonetheless. It has been difficult to keep a tight control of the CD's, and I
have ended up hounding students...not a good use of my time...in order to get
them back. I finally threatened to charge a hefty overdue fine if the CD didn't
get returned ASAP. Another teacher, who teaches orchestra, also wants some CD's
available to his students. He has purchased a fabulous set of classical-modern
CD's and wants to keep them under library control, as well. BUT, he doesn't want
the CD itself to be able to be checked out. He is willing to make cassettes from
the CD's, and make the cassette available to his students via the library. This
latter idea has not yet been put into operation; it is merely his idea of
controlling the actual CD. I, personally, do not want to get into the business
of buying or controlling music CD's in the library.
Pat Wilber
South Eugene High School
Eugene, OR 97405
wilber@4j.lane.edu