In message <199408141619.LAA19685@boombox.micro.umn.edu> Celia Jones writes:
> I am a teacher librarian at a Melbourne high school.
>
> However, I have been disturbed by the language and obscenities, especially in
> the message and penpals areas, as well as the ease with which people can
> access pornography.

I imagine that  your students hear much worse language on the street
while walking to your school library.  I'd be willing to bet that
they could get better pornography far more easily at the corner newstand
near your school library.  Furthermore, none of this is as bad as the
violence they are exposed to at home every night on prime-time television.

Would you tell these students to avoid your library and forget the
wealth of useful information and services that you are providing, just
because they might encounter obscenties and pornography on their journey?

> I would like to find out how other libraries with modems handle and supervise
> student use of the modem.

Instead of trying to make the world safe for students, try educating the
students and making them aware of the world and its dangers, so that they
are safe for the world.

There is a tremendous wealth of information, services, and communications
potential on the Internet.  Please don't do your students a grave
disservice by concentrating all your efforts on that tiny fraction that
might be "bad" for them.  I respectfully suggest that your efforts
would be far better spent concentrating on the countless benefits you
will find.

Stephen E. Collins   http://www.micro.umn.edu/SEC.html
University of Minnesota      sec@boombox.micro.umn.edu
Distributed Computing Services          (612) 625-1300

"My brain is orbiting inside my head.  When I was first born,
it took a whole day to revolve, now it only takes one and
a half hours."  -Max, age 6.

LM_NET Archive Home