Alison, your request for help with implementing an information skills
program in your school could not have been more timely. I returned last
Friday from Syracuse University (in New York) where I had the incredible
opportunity to study information problem-solving with Bob Berkowitz and
 Mike Eisenberg. Their model of information problem-solving (named
 "The Big Six") is a six step process that anyone can use when an
information need is defined.
  Their two books _Information Problem-Solving: The Big Six Approach_ and
_Curriculum Initiative_ are available from Ablex Press and describe the
six step process, as well as offer a structure for developing a scope and
sequence based on the process. The book _Curriculum Initiative_ also
describes the process for curriculum mapping. By mapping the curriculum,
the librarian ensures that each grade level has the opportunity to
receive instruction in all of the information problem-solving skills,
alleviating the usual "hit-or-miss" approach. And, it ensures that the
teaching of information skills will be integrated into the context of the
classroom subject area content. As Mike Eisenberg so directly states,
"Teaching information skills out of context is hazardous to your
students' heath!"
  Using the "Big Six" process, developing a scope and sequence based on
it, and mapping the curriculum is a comprehensive approach to a rich
information skills program.
  I am in the process of developing a scope and sequence and mapping the
curriculum. I have already collaboratively planned with a science
teacher, integrating the Big Six into a telecommunications project on
rocks and minerals. We begin teaching on Thursday and are quite excited
about the new approach. Tomorrow, I will begin introducing the Big Six to
students during library orientation, grabbing their attention with
real-life examples, instead of the usual book care and library behavior
fare. What is so great about the Big six is that
this process can be applied to *any* situation requiring an information
need--buying a car, completing an assignment, deciding who to vote for...
anything!
  I will be happy to provide you with additional information. I can
provide you with the full citation of the two books if you wish (I do not
have them at home with me right now). Good luck and I wish you the
best in implementing the information problem-solving curriculum. As Bob
Berkowitz told me, "Think Big!"

* Barbara A. Jansen          Live Oak Elementary     *
* Librarian                  8607 Anderson Mill Road *
* Round Rock I.S.D.          Austin, TX  78729-4706  *
* bjansen@tenet.edu          512/331-0996            *