I decided to post my answer to Norm to the whole group as I thought others in
a similar situation might find it useful.

For ten years our school district of 4 buildings (K-2, 3-5, 6-8 and 9-12) has
done what I think is innovative. We are allocated $14 per student for "the
library" per building. Out of that, $3 per student is "pooled", to be used
for major stuff...usually technology. We usually split the pot each year
between 2 of the buildings, so with approximately 3200-3500, that gives us a
bit of extra change to work with. I have had it over the last 2 years and
have put in my new Novell network on a 486 server and this year I upgraded my
ancient 8086 and 286 machines to 486s, plus I have been able to buy a bit
more stuff.  This has worked out really well for us, and even when we had to
take a 1 year cut on the balance of the library allocation, this amount was
left intact.

Barb Baker
John Campbell School
Selah,WA