Betsy,
     No negitive reaction!  At Mesa Verde teachers require much writing
and research.  We have 18 computers in the library.  Ten of them on a LAN
networked to the Internet.  It is also a requirement for graduation
to pass a Computer literacy test.  Off the library we have a 16 Mac
computer lab where computer literacy is taught.  All teachers make
writing/research a priority.  No stigma in our library--Information is
Power!  We just received a $30,000 grant from the State that is going
into the Science wing of the school.  The Science computers will be
connected to the library LAN and the Internet.  We are writing a $100,000
grant for the Social Studies wing of the school.  We make "Information
Literacy" a high priority.  Not all teachers/students  use computers but
the number who are is rising.

On Mon, 5 Dec 1994, Betsy Springer wrote:

> I've been following two discussions with interest. One, the suggestions
> on how to deal with the kids who use the library as a social hall... and
> yes, taking the same table every day. We have instituted a "two to a
> table" rule which helps some but I feel like a grouch or a grinch ;-)
>
> Two, the cybernaut suggestion. Some of the kids who hang-out would
> respond to this idea... I have noticed that at the high school level
> these are 100% boys.  In fact I overheard three girls going into the
> library after school today. One commented to her friendd," You're going to
> the
> library? You must be a library nerd."  The other apologized, but I have
> to do an assignment.  UGH. How I would like to change the image.
> Thanks, Bill, for your excellent suggestion.
> My question, Are these high school kids?  Some of our kids might like
> to get involved but might NOT like to be pointed out in class.... again
> the tag of "library or computer nerd" might discourage further
> participation. -It's tricky to give them positive recognition without
> bringing negative reactions from their peers.
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>       Betsy Springer
>       Downers Grove South H.S.
>       1436 Norfolk St.
>       Downers Grove, IL 60516
>       E-mail springer@eagle.ibc.edu

Bill Sears, Information Telecommunication Teacher* Phone (916) 228-2353
Sacramento County Office of Education            * FAX   (916) 228-2493
9738 Lincoln Village Drive                       * CORE: bsears@ctp.org
Sacramento, California  95827 ******************** I ensure that
curriculum trainers have the expertise to help teachers use the Internet
as a resource to enhance the California State Curriculum Frameworks.

LM_NET Archive Home